- Allow broader participation in these packages from contributors
- Faster bugfixing and upgrades without having to wait for whole Julia release cycles
- Make them less special and allow for alternatives to evolve, or become more flexible (e.g. we want to support many new sparse data types and solvers in a first class way)
- Consolidate capabilities in certain ecosystems (e.g. basic stats is spread out across too many packages like Statistics.jl, StatsBase.jl etc., and it is complex for new users to navigate - not to mention it is difficult to maintain)
Various things are being planned to make this non-breaking, and more are discovered as we go forward:
- The spun off packages will be 1.x.y version numbers so that there is no API breakage.
- With Project and Manifest files, the stdlibs are already dependencies
- Updating Pkg and related code to make this smooth.
Originally posted by
题外话： Unicode 标准库感觉也符合移除的标准。
UUIDs 这几个实际上是 Pkg 的依赖，当作标准库也比较勉强。
举例：有 CVE 但 ABI 不兼容就很难更新版本（mbedtls 是标准库 libgit2 的依赖）